by: Ms. Phillips (ELL teacher)
My sister and I made this cake recently while at home. We enjoy trying out new recipes together, and this one was delicious. I hope you enjoy turning sour lemons into this sweet treat!
Source: Nothing Fancy cookbook by Alison Roman
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground turmeric
1 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 lemon ( 2 tbsp lemon zest, 2 tbsp lemon juice, half lemon thinly sliced)
3/4 cup sour cream or full-fat greek yogurt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease loaf pan (line pan with parchment paper if desired)
- In medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and turmeric
- In large bowl, combine 1 cup of sugar with lemon zest, rub together with fingers until the sugar is yellow. Whisk in sour cream, eggs, and lemon juice
- Add wet mixture to flour mixture, stirring just to blend. Fold in melted butter
- Pour batter into the loaf pan and top with lemon slices and 2 tbsp sugar
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until the top is golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool before slicing! Enjoy!