Parent involvement is the key to any great school. It’s also a lot of fun as well as a wonderful way to make friends. Many volunteer positions require very little of your time and effort but offer a big payoff to our children and their school. Please contact the Underwood PTO at firstname.lastname@example.org for further details on any of these open positions.
Thank you for your continued involvement in making Underwood a vibrant community! We have open volunteer roles for every level of time commitment – both in person and completely virtual!
Our Open Roles for the 22-23 school year include:
- Carnival Co-Chairs – The Carnival is our most beloved Underwood tradition! The Co-Chairs execute the Carnival plan and oversee the various activity captains.
- Families Organizing for Racial Justice Liaison (Virtual) – The FORJ liaison serves as the bridge between Underwood FORJ activities and specific school and town-wide initiatives. This role may be done completely virtually.
- Safe Routes to School Liaison (Virtual) –The Newton Safe Routes to School Task Force is looking for a new rep. The Safe Routes Task Force includes representatives from each school and those who are available (about 1/3 of the reps) have a monthly meeting via Zoom with Newton Police, DPW, NPS, School Committee members, and others from the City. School reps work with their PTO and principals on whatever seems a fit for their own school – ideally as a minimum on the three state walk/roll/bike/bus days (Oct/Feb/May) each year and on 5th-grade bike safety training with the Newton Police. Some schools and reps do more as their time and interest allow. This role may be done completely virtually.
- Board Members at Large – Join the PTO Board and share your ideas and expertise with the Community! Members at Large should attend monthly PTO Board meetings (a mix of in-person and virtual). There are no specific duties associated with this role and will vary.
- Room Parents (Virtual) –We need Room Parent volunteers for our classrooms! Room Parents play a key role in building our tight-knit community at Underwood and supporting classroom teachers as needed. This role may be done entirely via email with no in-person volunteering required.Please contact our Room Parent Coordinator Hai Ly Burk at email@example.com if you want to sign up or learn more.
Please email us if you have any questions, want to learn more about a specific role, or sign up!