by: Mr. Owen (Physical Education Teacher)
This has become our traditional Christmas morning breakfast in the Owen household. We eat it (along with any breakfast food) with pure maple syrup. My grandfather was a maple syrup producer at my home in New Hampshire, so nothing but the real stuff in our house!
Source: Family recipe
French/Italian Bread – 1 Loaf
Eggs – 1 Dozen
Milk – 1 Cup
Cream – 1 Cup
Sugar – 1/2 Cup (I only use a half cup since we use maple syrup on top, if you don’t you could add more if desired)
Blueberries – 1 pound
Vanilla Extract – 1/2 Tablespoon
Ground Cinnamon – I don’t measure – just give a few good dashes
Ground Nutmeg – I don’t measure – just give a few good dashes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla.
- Cut the bread into slices and layer in the bottom of a 15″/10″ pan.
- Add the blueberries amongst the bread.
- Pour the egg mixture over everything. I cut the pieces up and mix everything together using a big spoon to make sure the bread is well coated.
- Dash cinnamon and nutmeg over the top.
- Cook uncovered for 45 – 60 minutes.
- When finished the top should be golden brown, the blueberries should have burst, and a knife inserted in the center should come out clean.