by: Mrs. Olwell (grade 5 teacher)
I started making this recipe at the beginning of our quarantine when I was pregnant. I made them for the first time the day after we found out that we would be out of school. I was sad because it meant I wouldn’t get to say goodbye to my students before I had my baby and would be on maternity leave. I needed to keep busy by cooking and baking to keep my mind off of everything going on. My husband had one and said “oh my goodness this is the best bagel I’ve ever had!” They were so easy to make I made them many times those couple of weeks I was pregnant. After I had baby Hunter, my husband made them for me as my first meal back at home. I’ll always think about this bittersweet time when I eat them!
Source: Recipe by Gina Homolka
1 cup flour (can use gluten free)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup 0% fat Greek yogurt
Topping of choice: sesame seeds, cinnamon sugar, or our favorite, Trader Joe’s Everything Seasoning (can order on Amazon!)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Place parchment paper on a baking sheet or spray baking sheet with oil.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk well. Add the yogurt and mix with a fork or spatula until well combined.
- Lightly dust flour on a work surface and remove dough from the bowl, knead the dough a few times until dough is tacky, but not sticky, about 15 turns (it should not leave dough on your hand when you pull away).
- Divide into 4 equal balls. Roll each ball into 3/4-inch thick ropes and join the ends to form bagels. (or you can make a ball and poke a hole in the center then stretch it slightly)
- Top with egg wash and sprinkle with seasoning of your choice. Bake on the top rack of the oven for 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Enjoy! 🙂