Dear Underwood Families,
Cold and flu season is upon us. We can all help by keeping our children home when they are sick. Not only does this help to diminish the spread of illness, it helps reduce negative outcomes for those who are more vulnerable and at greater risk for more serious symptoms when exposed to germs.
There are students at Underwood School who can react strongly if they are exposed to illnesses such as strep throat, influenza or respiratory infections. When there is a known exposure for these students, we as a community can help minimize the health impact for them.
We are asking for your help with the following:
- Report diagnosed strep throat, influenza (flu), RSV and other respiratory infections to Nurse Carrie
Students with strep throat may return to school after taking an antibiotic for at least 24 hours and have been fever-free for over 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medications.
Lastly we still need to be vigilant in monitoring students for COVID symptoms. Please assess your child each day using this tool:
Health Assessment Tool For Underwood Families
Does your student have any of the following symptoms?
- Fever (100F or higher) and/or chills
- Cough (not due to other known causes, such as a chronic cough)
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- New loss of taste or smell
- Muscle aches or body aches
- Sore throat (when in combination with 1 or more other symptoms)
- Headache (when in combination with 1 or more other symptoms)
- Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea (when in combination with 1 or more other symptoms)
- Fatigue (when in combination with 1 or more other symptoms)
- Nasal congestion or runny nose (not due to other known causes, such as allergies & when in combination with 1 or more other symptoms)
If your answer to any of the above is ‘yes’ keep your student home.
- Call the Underwood Absence Line to report the absence: 617-559-9680
- Contact your student’s health care provider for assessment and/or PCR testing
Contact Nurse Carrie with any questions: email@example.com or 617-559-9666
Thank you. ~Nurse Carrie