by: The Dao Family
We enjoy takeout Chinese food and this recipe has become a tasty family favorite that we can make at home. The original recipe calls for beef, but we’ve substituted with tofu for a vegetarian version.
Source: What’s Gaby Cooking: Eat What You Want Cookbook, 2020
1 block of tofu (firm or extra firm), cubed
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 T brown sugar
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 (1-inch) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 T cornstarch
1 T sesame oil
1/2 yellow onion, sliced
1 large head of broccoli, cut into florets and blanched
1 T toasted sesame seeds (optional)
3 scallions, sliced on the bias (optional)
- Whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Heat sesame oil over medium-high in a large skillet. Add onions. Saute for 8 mins.
- Add the blanched and drained broccoli. Cook for 1 min.
- Add the garlic sauce and stir to coat.
- Add the tofu and warm through for about 3 min.
- Transfer to serving plates over rice.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions (optional).